Sunday, May 3, 2009

Rock Band Collection

Which Rock Band is in your Collection? Do you have a Favorite Rock Band in your CD Collection or are your tastes a little more eclectic?

I don't know about you, but I'm not one of those 'I only listen to Classic Rock, Man' type of dudes. I mean, seriously, how one-dimensional do you need to be to be stuck on one genre of music? I'm not going to hate on you if you are stuck in a rock era, I realize that it's hard for people to move on, and as we get older we also tend to lose touch.

Now, that's not to say that I love all new rock bands out there, there are quite a few that I consider crap. There's music out there, man, that often leaves me shaking my head wondering 'How the hell did this crap reach the radio?'. I'm baffled by the music, but not by the marketing because I realize that a lot of rock bands were not created out there, in the real world, but inside a board room. These rock bands were specifically designed and targeted to a specific group of kids, usually kids from middle to upper middle class backgrounds, which is where the money is.

The problem when you create music for a certain group of people is that it is often watered down, tapered at the ends with the intention of maximum penetration into other demographics. Record producers aren't the cowboys of old, those dudes have either passed away or have themselves been swayed or frayed by the economic tyranny that seems to permeate our culture. That is why many of you classic rock lovers out there are a bit pissed off and refuse to listen to anything made after a certain era. I realize that some of you are justified in feeling this way, some rock bands are shit, but there are a lot of great rock bands out there, signed up on Indie Labels, who are rocking it old school.

It's a topic that no one can win, the type of Rock band collection that you create will always be based on your personal experience and debating personal preference is more of a task relegated to thought persuasion than it is to music appreciation. There's no doubt in my mind that the rock bands that kids are listening to today will be the classic rock of tomorrow and that's a scary proposition man.

No comments:

Post a Comment