Sunday, February 8, 2009

Album Collection Wish List

On the last post I discussed Gregorian Monk Chants. On this post I will talk about Album Collection Wish Lists.

A couple of posts ago I described how I went about organizing my rock collection. More specifically, I organized my CD collection, but have not touched my Vinyl album collection. The main reason for this is that I have duplicates of many of my Vinyl LPs in CD, and also, my wish list for my album collection has always been to duplicate all of my albums in CD form. The problem is, to convert the album collection over to CD would require thousands of dollars, and I'm not about to spend that much money.

So that is a bit of a dilemma, let's face it, vinyl albums are much more fragile, prone to scratching and warping and therefore in need of replacement. My best option was to find some sort of software that I could use to convert all of the remaining vinyl from my rock collection into digital format on my PC. I've heard that this was possible to do but I'm not that technically inclined so the idea seemed difficult. I found an interesting tutorial on the net, and it seems easier than I had first thought. Basically, all you need to do is to connect stereo RCA or RCA to 1/8-inch cables from your stereo receiver to the back of your video card, and then using free software called Audacity recording your vinyl album to your computer should be snap.

Ok, I admit that I haven't yet given it a go and that's because I realized that the needle on my record player had mysteriously disappeared, so I'm unable to actually play any of my LPs at this moment. Not sure where the record needle went, but I must admit that I've neglected that old record player for years, I like the way digital CD's sound. Actually, I like the fact that there are no scratching and white noise on the CDs and that's the primary reason that I converted most of my album collection to CD in the first place. Yes, I admit, I'm guilty of ignoring some of the albums in my collection, but frankly I just have not been in the mood to listen to the Carpenters or Beethoven piano concertos in a while, yes yes, I know, you're probably thinking "dude this isn't rock n roll", but as I've mentioned before, my music tastes vary and I'm always curious of adding new musical sounds to my repertoire.

To make a long story short, I'm going to see if I can fix my record player and then convert the rest of the album collection to my computer. Don't know when I'll get this done, cause I'm a pretty lazy dude, but when I do then I'll let you know how it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment